Sunday 5 March 2017

Route 101 – Thunder Part 2 of 9

Flotsam

Here I am hung over looking down a Road which is effectively a deathtrap to all those unwary enough to travel down it and stubborn folk like me who doesn't like to back down from a bet once made.  I can just make out the blonde lass a mile in the distance they got a bunch lights all set up, I'm not sure a piece of tail is really worth risking my life over.  Its not like the bet is for much in the way of credits either.  I know what you are thinking and it isn't pride either,  its more to the wipe the smug smile off that old boy's face.  Still that mile just seems to be getting longer the more I look at it, fortunately or not depends on how you look at it there's only me here at this end.  They've probably thought I've bottled it, not me I maybe a little slow sometimes but I'm not stupid got me a secret weapon.

Okay so as secret weapons go it isn't too secret just a sheet of second hand syntho-shield which I managed to bend over the more weaker points of the hunker and then I also I've got a cloak of the stuff.  Didn't come cheap either the guy that sold it to me says its just like the shields the government uses for rescuing people from unexpected D-Shifts.  Thing is the shields don't last long and government always throws them away after one use so there is quite a trade in them.

The real problem is that The Storm itself isn't a D-Shift, more sort of the waste product of one so I'm not actually sure how good the syntho-shield is going to be against The Storm's effects and there are many.  You see I accepted the bet before I read up on the history of the Road, okay I admit that was stupid.  Though I suspect the whole thing was a frame up, I mean they all know about the new protected zone being built right next to my property.  They were just jealous and this is how they've managed to get back at me.  Its not my fault that I'm risking my life not one bit of it.  I bought that piece of land from one of the local widows two summers back apparently been in the family for centuries dating back to before the war of independence.  Of course the locals didn't like a limey like me buying their land, its good farming land not sure why its never been turned.  The soil is thick and black, had one of them big scientists from the city to test it before I bought it though just in case.  They said it was high grade you could grow anything from it, I think that is why the government blokes decided to build near it so they could use me to farm for them but the locals say the land is protected and its bad luck to farm there.  I don't believe in luck what happens happens, of course the locals tried to stop me from doing any work on the land straight off.

First it was none of the local farm-boys would hire out to me despite the high rate I was offering, then I had the cops down on a tip that my trailer contained government controlled plants and then the local hardware store refused my credits.  I've had bring everything in from hundred miles away at considerable cost I might add, for the amount of credits I've spent so far on this shindig I could of bought myself a nice little flat in a protected zone.  Of course that isn't me, I'm a farmer through and through don't like the indoors too much.

Its the government's fault again I had good farm back in Blighty, saw me a government sign about big money to be had in the land of the yanks.  Lots of spare land since the population drop after the D-Shifts started.  Apparently it effects your manhood not that I've ever had any trouble myself in that direction but since the D-Shifts the birthrate has dropped off quite bit.  Blighty seems fine for that sort of thing but the government says it because there's more D-Shifts in the US,  I'm not so sure on that front.  Still that's why I here looking down that stretch of road cause the locals obviously want me dead and away from their land.

No comments:

Post a Comment