Monday 25 July 2016

Chess Limit

I can never remember anybody teaching me the game of chess though I can only assume my Dad taught me to play when I was young, in fact I do not remember to learning to play Draughts either (that's Checkers to everyone outside of the UK).  The thing is chess has a lot of potential moves in a single game, a chap called Claude Shannon estimated the number using game theory back in the 1950's when computers were the size of office blocks and cars were made out of real iron.

...10123 moves.  As a comparison, the number of atoms in the observable universe, to which it is often compared, is estimated to be between 4×1079 and 4×1081.

What I find ironic is the chess problem below all those moves reduced down to a handful (assuming you have 5 fingers).

In a chaotic system the possibilities are endless and the thing about chess whilst the rules are pretty strict there are some loopholes due to basic assumptions.  Are you playing to win or are you playing to create chaos.

A lot of bad things happening in Germany at the moment and the recent failed coup in Turkey suggests chaos is in the driving seat, did we put chaos there or was it a backseat driver?

What are the basic assumptions that create the loopholes in our system?

Does chaos have a navigator?

No comments:

Post a Comment